
So, this past weekend we went camping in central Illinois, just east of the (flooded) Mississippi. Probably because of the flooding, the gnats came with us to our campsite. They kindly stayed right beside us for what seemed like the duration of our stay. They buzzed around our heads, they followed us into our tents, they ate with us (in our food), they even helped us to breathe by flying right up our nostrils.

I was a little
leary at first about camping with the
Sniggler. It is a lot harder not to disturb others with midnight crying when all that separates you is a thin piece of nylon. (is it nylon?)

Turns out,
Sniggly slept the best out of all of us! She slept through the nightly rain showers (thank you Lord for holding them off during the day), and our biker neighbors driving back and forth, and our loud campfire laughter as we each took our turn being smothered by campfire smoke.

I am reminded that as a city dweller, I grossly underestimate the strength of water. The river was beautiful and amazing, but also scary and overwhelming as we stood above it and observed how far it had already pushed inland. From up here, we could no longer see, under the seemingly peaceful surface of the water, the houses and land that used to be dry now completely submerged.

We had to keep the fire going all the time, just to keep the gnats away. The weather report said that it was supposed to rain all weekend, but we prayed that the Lord would give us good weather (since it is quite miserable to camp in a deluge) and he blessed us exceedingly abundantly above all we asked for. He provided balmy, breezy, beautiful weather during the day and light showers at night to lull us to sleep.

I was not trying to channel the 'Madonna and child' look, just covering the backside from a
sneek gnat attack. (hey, it could have been
mosquitos, I'll take gnats any day)

If I thought that babies made messes with food while sitting strapped into a high chair, I have learned that they can set the record for the most food on the most
unwashable surfaces in the least amount of time when you try to feed them without the luxury of a restraint.

The
Stanghelle's bought this AWESOME hiking
kidlet backpack at the
REI scratch and dent sale (in anticipation of needing it someday) and it was like the
cadillac of baby hiking transportation.
Snigglesworth seemed to enjoy it as it gave her unlimited access to pulling Dad's hair.
Comments